Saturday, March 15, 2008

What White People Like

Maybe I'm the last person among the connected to learn about this delightful blog, What White People Like, but since I've been out attending Writer's Workshops and liking the idea of soccer, I guess I can be excused. To my mind, this site is a hoot. The author, whose race isn't entirely clear from what I've read so far, is about as far from a purveyor of white self-hate or black resentment as she can be. While I might protest that her blog would be more accurately described as "What Educated and/or Affluent, Blue-State White People Like," it's still a bit too much on-target for me to read without laughing and cringing at the same time. Frankly, I don't think the camo-wearing, NASCAR-watching crowd is all that likely to identify with these entries, but who cares?
I mention this not simply to spread the word about this site to the two and a half people who might read this entry--one and a half if my proofread is excluded--but to draw attention to the rather bizarre comments that one can find sprinkled around the various postings on the site. These range from abusive to clueless. It's astounding how humorless some people can be when someone pokes gentle fun at them. It's amazing how completely bereft of the irony gene many readers appear to be.
All of these comments simply confirm in my mind the absolutely essential nature of literacy education in our world. This blog could be used as an exit exam. Those who don't get it should be shuttled off to a remote location and allowed spend the remainder of their lives shopping at big box stores and eating fast food.

1 comment:

Kristina said...

OMG, that is so funny! Thanks for the tip. This one'll keep me laughing for hours!