Monday, February 11, 2008

Envy is not a Lovely Thing

Last night I sprawled out in my living room and watched “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” where Ty and company built a new house for a single father/Marine who had lost a leg in Iraq. Since this family lives in the Kansas City area, our local news decided to make the most of the broadcast, running a one-hour special before-hand in which they, among other things, spoke with the two other families from the area who had been featured on the program.
One thing really struck me during that hour. The mother from one of those previous families told of overhearing somebody saying this: “Maybe we should adopt a bunch of kids and then we can get something for nothing.”
Why do so many people struggle with appreciating the good-fortune of others? If you want to be jealous of Eli Manning or Brittany Spears, I think I can understand that, but do these people really believe that somebody would adopt a bunch of kids just on the off chance of getting on that show? Do they think that last night’s dad lost a leg and a marriage for a new house?
Now I’m not totally naïve—a little bit, but not totally. I recognize that these people aren’t pure as the driven snow. Probably Mr. Gilyeat, the Marine from last night’s show, has his flaws. His ex-wife might well tell some unflattering tales on the man. Maybe he’s even bought a few lottery tickets or otherwise mismanaged his money, but who cares? Who among us doesn’t have a flaw or ten?
Envy is an ugly thing. When we can’t look at somebody who has experienced a blessing and simply think, “Wow, good for them!” we’re living with an impoverished spirit.
Don’t think that I’m suggesting that I’m perfect. I’ve looked at coworkers, neighbors, and friends who have something that I’d like to have myself with an envious eye. Since I’ll never slash their tires or steal their identities, the only harm in this transaction of envy comes to me. I’m diminished when I resent someone else’s good fortune, even if they don’t deserve it.

No comments: